Monday, April 2, 2012

Seafood Lasagna

I have been dying to try this recipe so while my sister was here I decided it would be the perfect meal to end the weekend visit on.  This is a rich and satisfying dish that will leave you wanting more.  The ingredients really come together to make a very appetizing meal.  It was simple to make even though there are quite a few ingredients.

Seafood Lasagna

Yield: 12 Servings            Bake Temp: 350 degrees

1 green onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. plus 1/2 Cup butter, divided
1/2 Cup chicken broth
1 bottle (8oz) clam juice
1 lb. bay scallops
1 lb uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deceined
1 package (8oz) imitation crab meat, chopped
1/4 tsp. white pepper, divided
 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 Cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained

1.  In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and 2 Tbsp. butter until tender.  Stir in broth and clam juice; bring to a boil.  Add the scallops, shrimp, crab and 1/8 tsp. pepper; return to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turns pink and scallops are firm and opaque, stirring gently.  Drain, reserving cooking liquid; set seafood mixture aside.

2.  In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth.  Combine milk and reserved cooking liquid; gradually add to the saucepan.  Add salt and remaining pepper.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from the heat; stir in cream and 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese.  Stir 3/4 Cup white sauce into the seafood mixture.

3.  Spread 1/2 Cup white sauce in a greased 13-inch X 9-inch baking dish.  Top with three noodles; spread with half of the seafood mixture and 1 1/4 Cups sauce.  Repeat layers.  Top with remaining noodles, sauce and Parmesan.

4.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.  Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.



I did a few things differently with this recipe and there are a few things I will do differently when I make this again.
  • I did not use green onion.  I minced up half of a regular white onion.  I do not particularly like green onions and I had a white onion already.  I added the onion like the recipe called for.  I could taste the onion in the recipe and I enjoyed the flavor it gave.
  • I would not add the scallops right away when I add the shrimp and crab meat.  I thought the scallops were a bit over-cooked by the time the lasagna was done.  Bay scallops are small and cook very quickly.  Add them last and under-cook them.
  • Next time I make this I will add garlic!  I thought the sauce was missing something...it needed more flavor.  After eating this lasagna I decided that garlic would be a must next time.  Also, I thought the sauce needed more salt.  Salt is a tricky thing nowadays because some people are salt conscious.  You don't want to add too much salt.
  • Lastly, I added extra shredded Parmesan cheese in every layer of the lasagna.  In my life, you can never have enough Parmesan cheese!
I hope you enjoy this lasagna as much as my family and I did!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment