Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Comforting Tuna Casserole

My boyfriend has been begging me to make "Tuna Noodle Casserole" for him.  I have never made it before so I started searching for a good recipe.  I have plenty of cookbooks and decided I would find a recipe in my ultimate casserole cookbook.  My mom used to make tuna noodle casserole and I always loved it as a child.  So I found a recipe that sounded good and just made it!  This recipe is amazing!!!  The flavor was wonderful.  This was light but rich and creamy and you will definitely want more after trying it!

Comforting Tuna Casserole

Yield: 2 servings  

1 3/4 Cups cooked wide egg noodles
6 tsp butter, divided
4 tsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
3/4 Cup 2% milk
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 can (3 oz) solid white tuna, drained
2 Tbsp. diced pimientos
2 tsp minced chives
2 slices Muenster cheese (3/4 oz each)
2 Tbsp. soft bread crumbs

Cook the noodles according to the package directions.  Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 5 tsp. butter.  Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until blended; gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.  Reduce heat; add the cream cheese, tuna, pimientos and chives.  Cook and stir until cheese is melted.

Drain the noodles.  Spread 1/4 Cup tuna mixture into a 3-Cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Layer with half of the noodles, 1/4 Cup tuna mixture and one slice of cheese.  Repeat layers.

In a small microwaveable-safe bowl, melt butter; stir in bread crumbs.  Sprinkle over top of casserole.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.



This casserole truly is delicious!  Of course, I did a few things differently to better suite our taste buds.  I did not add the pimientos or chives.  I feel like nothing was taken away from this recipe by taking these 2 ingredients out.  This recipe can stand on its own without these.  I also added a bit more of the Muenster cheese on top.  I baked this in a shallow casserole dish and it came out great! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment