Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Southwestern Scallops

When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. I absolutely love scallops and have never made a Sea Scallop recipe.  I was a little uneasy at first about cooking them properly but this recipe was very simple.  I will definitely make this recipe again!

Southwestern Scallops

Yield: 4 servings

2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 lb. sea scallops (about 12)
2 Tbsp. butter, divided
1/2 Cup white wine of chicken broth

In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.  Pat Sea scallops dry with a paper towel.  Rub seasoning mixture over top and bottom of scallop.
In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp butter.  Cook scallops for 2 minutes on each side or until golden and opaque.  Remove from the skillet, keep warm.
Add wine or broth to skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits from pan.  Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.  Stir in remaining butter until melted.  Serve with scallops.



Make sure you buy SEA scallops and not bay scallops for this recipe.  Sea scallops are from 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide and are much bigger than bay scallops.  I would do a few things differently with this recipe from when I made them the first time.  I would just put the seasoning on the top and bottom of the scallop instead of all over it.  The recipe was not very clear on the coating part of the scallops.  I also cooked mine a bit longer than 2 minutes on each side.  I wanted to make sure they were cooked but not dried out.  I would also make sure that the broth is reduced enough.  I got impatient with it and stopped cooking it too soon. The broth was very good and would like it a bit thicker.  I used the chicken broth instead of the wine also.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment