Monday, January 23, 2012

Potato Chowder

One of my New Years resolutions was to start cooking more again.  Last week I went through my cookbooks and wrote down everything I was going to make in the next 2 weeks.  I went out and bought all the ingredients for everything!  The first thing I decided to make was a potato chowder.  This recipe came from my slow cooker recipe book! 

Potato Chowder

Yield: 12 Servings (3 Quarts)

8 Cups diced potatoes
1/3 Cup chopped onion
3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/4 tsp pepper
1 package (8oz) cream cheese, cubed
1/2 lb. sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
snipped chives (optional)

In a slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender.  add cream cheese; stir until blended.  Garnish with bacon and chives if desired.


This recipe was very simple to make!  I diced the potatoes and onion the night before and combined it all in the morning before work.  By the time I came home the potatoes were all cooked and it was ready for the cream cheese.  I cooked the bacon while the cream cheese mixed in.  This soup was rich and creamy and delicious. The only thing I did differently was add a little garlic powder and salt to the soup.  I also made chicken sandwiches to go with the soup.  The ingredients include: Hamburger rolls, Breaded chicken breasts, mayo, lettuce, sliced American cheese, and bacon!  This was a great dinner to end a long day of work!  Enjoy!

3 comments: