Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Green Bean Mushroom Pie

I decided to try this recipe as a side dish to my main course.  I like fresh green beans so I thought I would love this recipe.  It was time consuming to make but the outcome was very nice to look at.  I'm sad to say that I did not like this recipe, not because of the taste, but because I really do not like fresh mushrooms. The overall flavor was good though.  The biggest complaint my boyfriend had was that there was no meat in this pie. 

Green Bean Mushroom Pie

Yield: 8-10 servings

Filling:
3 Cups sliced fresh mushrooms
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
2 1/2 Cups chopped onion
6 Cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
2 tsp. minced fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
1/2 Cup milk

Crust:
2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Cup cold butter
1 Cup (8 oz) sour cream
1 egg
1 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream

In a large skillet, saute mushroom in 1 Tbsp butter until tender; drain and set aside.  in the same skillet, saute onions and beans in remaining butter for 18-20 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.  add the thyme, salt, pepper, cream cheese, milk, and mushrooms.  Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
For crust:  In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, dill and salt.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in sour cream to form a soft dough.
Divide dough in half.  on a well floured surface, roll out on portion to fit a deep-dish 9-inch, pie plate; trim pastry even with edge.
Pour green been mixture into crust.  Roll out remaining pastry, make a lattice crust.  Trim, seal and flute edge. 
In a small bowl, beat the egg and cream; brush over lattice top. Bake at 400 degrees fro 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.



I pretty much stuck to the original recipe with this one.  I did not use dill weed in the crust as I'm not a big fan of dill weed.  The crust was still very flavorful due to the sour cream.  I ended up saving the leftover crust for the next day and made small biscuits.  They turned out pretty good too!  I also used dried thyme.  I will admit I messed up on the lattice work on top but could not fix it in time. If these ingredients sound good to you then I would suggest making this pie.  Please let me know what you think!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment