Monday, January 23, 2012

Broccoli and Noodles Supreme

I have made this recipe before and I really liked it, so I decided to make it again.  It's quick and easy to make and its just a good recipe to have when you want to make a complete meal/casserole.  I love to try and make new casseroles and play around with ingredients and ways to prepare them faster.  This is one of these casseroles where you really cannot mess up if you play around with it a bit!

Broccoli and Noodles Supreme

Yield: 6 servings

1 can (10 3/4 oz) Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Cup Milk
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/3 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Cups fresh or frozen broccoli flowerets
2 Cups uncooked medium egg noodles

1.  Stir the soup, milk, pepper, sour cream, cheese, broccoli and noodles into a 2-quart casserole. Cover
2.  Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Stir
3.  Bake for an additional 15 more minutes or until hot and bubbly.

I do a few things differently with this recipe to make it more hearty and cook quicker.
1.  I absolutely cook the noodles before baking the whole casserole.  I partially boil them, still leaving them a bit hard.  This speeds up the baking process and ensures that the noodles are cooked all the way. 
2.  I also add chunks of chicken breast.  I buy boneless, skinless chicken and just bake through all the way.  I add this into the casserole with everything else.
3.  I mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl first and then add the Parmesan cheese to it.  I mix the chicken, noodles, and broccoli together and then add the wet mixture.
4.  I use a whole bag of frozen broccoli not just 2 Cups.
5.  I add an extra 1/2 can of cream of chicken soup if I need more of the sauce due to the additional ingredients I put in!  I like my casseroles a bit juicy!  If you add the extra sauce, just make sure you let the casserole sit before you serve.
6.  Lastly, I sometimes add Ritz cracker crumbs to the top of the casserole.  I enjoy the taste and the crunch of the crackers on top!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment