Monday, May 14, 2012

Eggplant-Portobello Sandwich Loaf

My boyfriend loves Portobello mushrooms.  I wasn't sure how I felt about them as I like some mushrooms, depending on how you cook them.  It's the same with eggplant.  I've had it before and really liked it and I've had it before and didn't like it so much.  When I saw this recipe, I thought it would be a taste challenge for me.  This recipe was really stepping out of my comfort box when it comes to food.  It turns out that this recipe was great! 

Eggplant-Portobello Sandwich Loaf

Yield: 4 Servings

1 loaf (1 lb.) Italian bread
1/2 Cup olive oil
2 tsps. minced garlic
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 large eggplant (1 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 package (6 oz.) sliced portobello mushrooms
1 Cup marinara sauce
2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
4 oz. smoked fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices

1. Cut bread lengthwise in half.  Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving 1/2-inch shell; set aside.  In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.  Brush over eggplant and mushrooms.

2.  Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender.  Spread half of the marinara sauce over bottom of bread.  Top with eggplant and mushrooms.  Spread with remaining sauce; top with the basil and cheese.  Replace bread top.

3.  Wrap loaf in a large piece of heavy-duty foil (about 28-in x 18-in); seal tightly.  Grill, covered over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.




I only did a few things differently with this recipe.  I did not have fresh basil so I just used dried basil.  I also used my George Forman Grill to cook the eggplant and mushrooms.  We did not have our grill at the time.  This worked out great though!  The eggplant was not mushy and I seasoned as I cooked them.  I could not find the smoked mozzarella cheese so I just used regular fresh mozzarella and it was great.  Also since I didn't have a grill I just placed the whole loaf in the oven and baked it for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese melted. This loaf is quite hearty and you really don't miss meat, even though my boyfriend would add pepperoni the next time!  Enjoy!

Side note:  You can save the hollowed out bread pieces to use as bread crumbs or stuffing!

No comments:

Post a Comment