Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Wraps

I had phyllo dough in the freezer that I wanted to use up so I found this recipe to make.  I needed a finger food for the Super Bowl and decided that these would be the perfect item!  Little did I know how excellent these would turn out to be!  The flavor was great and it was like you were eating chicken wing dip in a crispy shell! During the Super Bowl we were coming up with better names for this recipe as I changed the shape up...I like to call these Buffalo Chicken Triangles!

Buffalo Chicken Phyllo  Wraps
  • 2 (5 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)
  • 6 sheets phyllo dough
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)
  • 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup light garlic-flavored cream cheese
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  1. Combine chicken and 1/4 cup hot sauce in a shallow dish; marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Grease a 9x13- inch baking dish.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place phyllo sheets on work surface; cover with damp towel to keep from drying out.
  3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Remove chicken from hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in the oil until the juices run clear, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat; shred. Combine the shredded chicken, remaining 1/2 cup hot sauce, vinegar, and cream cheese in a large bowl. Stir until creamy. Allow mixture to cool, about 5 minutes.
  4. Remove 1 phyllo sheet from stack; fold in half lengthwise. Brush lightly with oil. Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture at the bottom of the folded phyllo, about 1 inch from the bottom. Fold bottom of phyllo over filling, fold in each side, roll wrap to the end of the phyllo sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and chicken mixture.
  5. Place phyllo rolls in prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until phyllo is brown and flaky, 20 to 25 minutes.



Make sure you add the vinegar to this recipe even if it sounds out of place.  It adds a zip and tang that quite delicious!  I also added  a container of bleu cheese crumbles which turned out to be amazing!  The bleu cheese melts inside and combines all the flavors together.  I used the new cooking cream, savory garlic cream cheese, which is delicious!  I decided to make these into triangles instead of wraps.  I cut the phyllo dough width-wise  in about 3-4 inch strips.  I used 2 pieces of phyllo dough per one triangle.  I did use the oil on the top piece.  Since I was making appetizer I placed about a spoonful of the chicken mixture in the middle of one end of the dough.  I then folded the dough by taking the corner upwards til the top and bottom were aligned.  I then continued to fold the dough in the shape of a triangle (like a paper football) until I was out of dough.  Make sure all your sides are sealed.  Also, cook until these are brown and crispy.  You want these to be very crispy and not mushy.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment