Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bacon Tater Bake

We were having a food day at work and I needed something to bring.  I decided, first of all, that I wanted to bring a main dish of sorts instead of just an appetizer or dip.  Before the food day, one of my friends asked me to make something with potatoes as she loved potatoes. (I mean, who doesn't love potatoes right?) So after some thought I decided I would do something with tater tots.  Before I had started my blog, I made a delicious tater tot bake for my boyfriend and decided I would make that for the food day!  Needless to say, this was supposed to be for lunch, but people at work devoured 2 9x13 pans before 10 am!

Bacon Tater Bake

Yield: 10 servings

2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 1/3 Cups sour cream
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 pkg (32 oz) frozen Tater Tots

In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream and onion.  Add the bacon and Tater Tots; stir until combined. 
Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  Uncover and bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. 



This recipe is full of flavor!  I would do one thing differently with this recipe.  I wold saute the onions just a bit to make sure they fully get cooked.  When I made this recipe for work, I also added about 3/4 Cup of shredded Cheddar cheese to it.  It added an extra zip to this recipe.  I also made one mistake...I precooked the tater tots for time...this changed the consistency of the recipe.  The tater tots, being semi-cooked already, crumbled up when I stirred in the liquids.  It still tasted really good although the tots were not whole.  I would leave the tots frozen before you mix them together.  I ended up making 2 casseroles, one with bacon and one without bacon.  They were both very good, so if you have someone who doesn't like bacon, (ha ha) then you can make it without.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment