Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Spiral Pepperoni Pizza Bake

I made this new recipe last night after my boyfriend saw a picture of it on the front of one of my cookbooks.  He said it looked delicious and asked if I would make it for dinner the next night.  I of course agreed because i love trying new things!  here's the recipe!

Spiral Pepperoni Pizza Bake

Prep: 30 minutes                                Bake: 40 minutes

1 pkg (16oz) spiral pasta              
2 lbs ground beef                        
1 large onion, chopped                 
1 tsp salt                             
1/2 tsp pepper                               
2 cans (15oz each) pizza sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 eggs
2 Cups milk
1/2 Cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
4 Cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 pkg (3-1/2 oz) sliced pepperoni

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion, salt, and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in pizza sauce, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning; remove from heat and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and Parmesan cheese.  Drain pasta; toss with egg mixture.  Transfer to a greased 3-qt baking dish.  Top with beef mixture, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown. 

After making this recipe I would do a few things differently.  The first thing is that I would not use a whole 16oz bag of noodles.  I would cut it down to 3/4 of a bag.  The second thing I would do is not add the garlic salt and Italian seasoning to the pizza sauce.  Although it tastes good, adding the 2 seasonings makes the pizza sauce taste like spaghetti sauce.  I would have preferred to taste more of a pizza sauce.  The third thing i would have done is I would add a small amount of salt to the egg mixture to give it a little more pizzazz.  My last suggestion is to make sure you use the full amount of pizza sauce and use more then less if you have to.  The noodles in the bottom are a little bland without the sauce.  Overall this was a good recipe and I would make it again.  It was quick and easy to make. My boyfriend loved the top with the mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.  

No comments:

Post a Comment