Monday, October 8, 2012

Spicy Pork Chili

Since it is getting colder outside, I have decided to start making soups and chili's again!  I love this time of year when soup/chili is an acceptable dinner at night.  It's warm, comforting and filling after a long day at work!  I love making chili and I was excited to try this recipe when I saw that it was pork and not your typical ground beef.  This was extremely easy to make and the pork melted in your mouth!

Spicy Pork Chili

Yield: 6 Servings

2 Lbs. boneless, pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
2 Cups frozen corn
1 Can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Cup chopped onion
1 Cup beef broth
1 Can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 Cup minced fresh cilantro
Shredded cheddar cheese, optionl

In a large skillet, cook pork in oil over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until browned.  Transfer pork and drippings to a 5 quart slower cooker.
Stir in the tomatoes, corn, beans, onion, broth, chilies, chili powder, garlic, salt, cayenne and pepper.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hrs or until pork in tender.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve with cheese if desired.

I did a few things differently.  I cooked the onion in the pork and poured it all in the crock pot.  I did not add the green chilies, but I did add a can of drained chili beans.  I think the extra chili beans gave this a great added flavor from trying it before and after adding them.  I didn't have any cayenne pepper but I added crushed red pepper instead.  I skipped the cilantro and served with cheddar cheese and sour cream!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment